One Week Coffee Route
This course starts from the knowledge of the different sorts of coffee: Arabica, robusta, Liberica, washed, natural, Monsooned and so on. Then we visit the roasting company, seeing how the coffee is professionally roasted and blended.
After, is the moment to start working. How to do a perfect espresso, with a perfect grinding degree and a perfect tamping. How to froth the milk for a perfect Italian cappuccino. How to do latte macchiato, espresso macchiato and espresso shakerato.
At the end, very important for barista and home barista: espresso machine cleaning and maintenance!
Check the video of the course here below!
January 13th, 2020
February 11th, 2020
The course starts at 10 a.m. and finishes at 5.30 p.m. with a short lunch break. The Espresso Academy is in Florence, a few minutes with the tram away from the central railway station of Santa Maria Novella and a few minutes from the exit of the highway, Firenze SCANDICCI.
Program of the Course – Day 1
- What is coffee, a bit of history and knowledge of the different species : Arabica, robusta and other hybrids.
- The coffee process: picking, stripping, washed and dry method.
- Introduction to roasting and blending. Visit to a roasting plant.
- Tasting of a good and a bad espresso. Tasting different Arabicas and Robustas, finding differences.
- The preparation of Espresso, dosing, grinding and tamping.
- The Cappuccino in theory and in practice. Milk frothing: the SCA standards, more or less frothy, more or less hot.
- The classic Italian preparations: Latte Macchiato, Caffèlatte, Espresso Macchiato , Shaked Coffee etc.
- An introduction to the world of Brewing: V60, Aeropress and other methods.
- Knowledge and cleaning of the Espresso machines. Descaling, backflushing, cleaning of the grinder.
It´s possible to add a second day to this basic course, which goes into the world of advanced espresso and barista competitions.
Program of the Course – Day 2
- What are the barista and latte art championships. Regulation and competitions.
- Introduction to professional coffee tasting: the SCA evaluation boards, testing of several coffees in single origin, from Mexico Altura to Java to the spicy taste of the Ethiopian Sidamo.
- Practical test machine: find the right grinding degree and make a correct Espresso.
- The Latte Art. Video, the “dry” technique and a lot of practice for the pouring of the rosetta, the heart, tulips,the new “rainbow cappuccino” and many more.
From the world of the coffee cocktails to the new frontiers, from mocaccino to hot and icy very new proposals
This course is part of the One Week Coffee Route route, a complete journey in the world of coffee that includes days dedicated to barista, latte art, roasting, professional tasting, brewing and coffee shop management. Read more about the coffee route!